This delicious winter soup recipe relies on the rich flavors of roasted garlic and vegetables along with the tartness of the lemon and the sharp brightness of the rosemary. When blended together these flavors brighten even the gloomiest of winter days.
I like to say that cooking up cosmetics is the same as cooking up dinner, but without the calories. While obviously I am joking, there is still a lot of truth in this statement. I use the same herbs and spices (in the form of essential oils) in my skincare products as in the kitchen. Adding rosemary oil to a skincare product, gives that same happy lift and burst of energy to a moisturizer the same way as it does to this soup.
Here are a few other benefits of using rosemary oil, both in your cooking and in your skincare products
- Improves memory
- Promotes hair growth
- Reduces pain and inflammation
- Relieves stress and anxiety
- Combats gastrointestinal stress
- Fights bad breath
- Rice bran oil
- 1 cauliflower, quartered
- ½ kilo Jerusalem artichokes
- 1 head garlic
- 1 lemon, halved
- The leaves from 4 branches of fresh rosemary
- 3 liters water
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
The most annoying and difficult part of this recipe is cleaning the Jerusalem artichokes. Here are two methods that I use to clean them.
Either, cut off the knobby bits, soak in water and then scrub with a brush Or, cut off the knobby bits. Soak in cold water to remove most of the dirt and then blanch in boiling water for 10 minutes. Lightly rub them to remove the peels.
- Toss the cauliflower, Jerusalem artichoke, unpeeled garlic cloves, rosemary and halved lemon with the oil, salt and pepper. Lay out the ingredients on a large oven tray.
- Grill on medium heat until the cauliflower is golden but not charred.
- Pop the garlic out of its peels.
- Throw out the lemon
- Place the remaining ingredients in a pot and add the water and coconut milk. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 30 minutes
- Garnish with croutons
To use rosemary in your skincare products
- Blend 2 drops of rosemary oil into your morning face serum to give you an extra wake-up boost or check out Navon Naturals Bria Energizing Morning Serum to experience a premade serum with that energizing boost of rosemary oil.